Holiday parties often include a few adult beverages. Make sure you keep them out of the reach of pets. Even a small amount of alcohol may cause vomiting, loss of coordination, and disorientation in your pet. Larger amounts can even cause death. Shots and mixed drinks can do damage even faster.
Any cooked bones are dangerous for your dog. Turkey and chicken bones are extremely dangerous because the splinter very easily. Ham and beef bone also splinter, just not as easily. All cooked bones can have dangerous effects when swallowed. They can cause internal injury. Never intentionally give cooked bones to your pets. When you put food out on your counter or table make sure that your pets can’t get to it. Also make sure that they can’t get to the surfaces where the dirty dishes are placed.
Candles can offer an intimate and elegant element to your holiday gatherings. They can also add a very dangerous element to them as well. Make sure that candles are nowhere near the reach of your pets. Flames can easily find wagging tails and curious noses. They can be tipped into things that can easily catch fire.
Most pet owners know that chocolate is toxic to pets. Unsweetened baking chocolate and dark chocolates are the worst. Milk chocolate is not as toxic, but things like fudge, and other chocolate candy can still be dangerous and cause severe illness. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include: diarrhea, vomiting, seizures, nervousness, and death.
The shininess of lights, decorations, ribbons and bows is bound to attract curious pets. Accidental ingestion of these items can cause bunching and the possible perforation of intestines. This is a life-threatening condition that most often requires emergency surgery.
Look at your Christmas tree from your dog’s eyes. All of the sudden there’s a big tree in the house. If it doesn’t just completely frighten him, it will most likely raise some major curiosity in him. To avoid your tree being pulled over and destroyed, be sure to secure your tree in a sturdy stand and block off any access to it. You may also want to limit the amount of decorations you use on the bottom of the tree and make sure there isn’t anything dangling that your dog can get a hold of or pull on.
Once your holiday party or family feast is over, make sure the table scraps, foil, and other waste goes into a sealed trash can. Be aware that your pets have a great nose and they may be able to open cupboards, doors and garbage cans. Just make sure these places are well secured.
If your dog likes to chew, it may want to chew on or ingest pine needles from a real tree. If this happens it can cause vomiting, abdominal pain, depression, and possibly obstruction of the GI tract. In addition, Christmas trees are often sprayed with paint or preservatives. If a fertilizer is used it can also be extremely harmful to your dog.
Some holiday plants are harmful to pets. These plants include poinsettias, mistletoe, and holly. Ingesting even a small amount of plants like these can cause mouth and stomach irritation, seizures and death. If you use these plants to decorate your home, keep them out of the reach of your pets.
Your pets are counting on you to keep them safe from these dangers. They have no idea that they are dangerous. A few simple preventative steps can assure that this holiday season will be a healthy and happy experience for you, your family and friends. Including your four footed friends.
I hope you will all have happy and healthy holiday season.
Need Help? Contact Us and we’ll be happy to offer any help we can!