It has been proven that manufacturers use formaldehyde in processing the strips that they make into chews for dogs. While the levels are not toxic, prolonged exposure could result in health issues but this point has not been proven.
Next, the white rawhide chews are bleached to make them white. Bleach is also a poison that can hurt your dog.
Also, rawhide does not digest in the stomach of a dog. In most cases this is not a big issue. When chewed it enters the stomach in small pieces. They will almost always pass through the system with any problem.
However if the dog gets a big enough piece and swallow it, it could create a blockage in the bowel. If this occurs, surgery is the only way to remove it.
One last point to consider is that after the rawhide gets wet, it can cause a choking hazard. I’ve seen large dogs chew the knot off the end and get it in their mouth. After getting it softened up they could try to swallow it in one big piece.
We suggest you may not want to feed your dog rawhides if there is any question in your mind. Instead, you may want to use raw marrow bones or a raw beef bone from the local butcher shop.
Contact A Better Dog4U if you have any questions or if you need any help with your training. We will be glad to set up a personal consultation in order to help you any way that we can.